Friday, December 20, 2013

Philosophical Landmark: Professor Bergson's 500th Philosophy Class


 By Gemma Cleanslate

It is amazing to me to realize that I have been attending The Philosophy Class in Second Life so long! Not that I made it to every class, but I must say I did attend quite a few! I know I was present for Class Number 1 back in September 2007.  Now I am sitting at class 500 on Thursday, the 19th of December 2013.
I do know someone who did attend every class and that is the professor, Herman Bergson, every Tuesday and Thursday, every year, every week, except for vacation breaks, since the first month. He has been dedicated to continuing the study of philosophers and their ideas for all this time,  and presenting us with the material. Often our classes have had heated discussions that wander off topic, but we are drawn back to the present issue quickly by the Professor.

This lecture, number 499, should have taken place back in October. However the professor was stricken with a heart attack and underwent surgery. Fortunately he has recovered well and is ready to go on. Class 500 is a landmark but it is not the end. It is the beginning . He is already aiming for the next 500. You are all invited to join us for the next part of the journey. Winter break began after class, and will resume in week three of January. You are able to access any past classes at this blog site http://thephilosophyclass.blogspot.com/ . Right now we are in the midst of the study of non-western philosophies.

There have been several past articles about the class over the years in the SL Newser. If you would like to learn more, and you can visit the classroom at this location in Wainscot.
Gemma Cleanslate  

No comments:

Post a Comment